Bomba - is it a bomb or a pump?

Working through the units I come to the term ‘bomba de gasolina’ whose given translation is ‘gas station’ (or petrol filling station if you are British). I think it could also mean ‘petrol bomb’ and it reminded me of a Spanish student I had some years ago.

In Spanish ‘bomba’ also means both bomb and pump, and my student was designing some civil engineering work for a harbour. When I asked him what he had done that week he replied that he had designed a bomb to raise the water in the harbour. When I asked him for an explanation he made a gesture simulating lifting water which added to my confusion.

After some time I realised he meant ‘pump’ but it wasn’t the end our translation problems.

1 Like

Hi, @patrickmcmahon5544! I’m noticing here that it is the same “root,” so to speak, in the word “bombeiro,” so I’m guessing it means “pump” [as in water pumping fire truck]. I would hate to think that “bombeiro” means someone who is a bomber! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It also means both in Portuguese! Bomb and pump. But it generates different verbs, depending on the meaning: bombear for pumping (some people also say bombar) and bombardear for bombing.

1 Like