Best Portuguese Textbooks

Awesome, I’m glad I could help. I hope you like it!

1 Like

I can’t wait to visit the Livraria Bertrand and find some children’s books in Portuguese.

3 Likes

You’re actually going to land in Lisbon just in time to visit Portugal’s largest book fair, Feira do Livro de Lisboa, which is super central, in Parque Eduardo VII. Nice discount prices and lots of choice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Eu adoro este livro.

Lol They look great but if you try to buy them from that website and are in America, it will cost $80 for two books because of international shipping. Will try to find used online elsewhere because even on Amazon, a used copy is listed as $90 because of the international shipping from Europe lol. Cheapest one I have found so far is $42.66 + $26.11 shipping. Lol. Wish I ordered these while I was living in Portugal. If anyone goes back and forth between Portugal, you could probably make a killing buying these books there and then selling them online for $20

2 Likes

The frequent poster here, Molly, filled me in on going to Netflix search bar and just typing in “Portuguese” and in the suggested options it will say “Audio in Portuguese” or “Subtitles in Portuguese” and let you choose from there. It took me so long to figure that out.

5 Likes

Yup, that’s a really good tip. @Molly :+1::+1:

1 Like

So for someone living in America with an A2-ish level of Portuguese would you recommend the Aprender Series? I bought the Portugues Atual 2 which is B1/B2 thinking I could power through it and I was not prepared lol. Everything is in Portuguese, there is a answer key in the back which I reference a lot. I thought it would be more textbook like with explanations first and exercises afterwards but it jumps right it with texts to listen along to, listening exercises, and regular exercises. I’ve been able to manage but not what I expected. I just wonder how the Aprender series compares and if I should try them.

2 Likes

I visited Livraria Lello in Porto a few weeks…Amazing store…Google it if you’ve not heard of it, worth a trip if you are in Porto!

3 Likes

It’s a beautiful bookstore and they’ve been making good use of the extreme popularity they got with the Harry Potter series :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hello lovely PP people!

I’ve just discovered that Fnac.pt has a sale on until 28.08.19.

I bought Apprender Português 1:

• Nível A1/A2 Manual do Aluno
  • Nível A1/A2 Caderno de Exercícios
  • Compreensão Oral
  • Gramática Aplicada - Nível A1/A2/B1

Total price EUR 64.76 including shipping to the UK. Seemed like quite a good deal. Much cheaper than anywhere else I found online.

The sale only runs until tomorrow (28th of August)

Abraços,
Jeremy

6 Likes

Just wanted to say how impressed I was by the service of fnac.pt.

I put my order in at 10.35am yesterday and the books were delivered to my UK address at 11.50am today. A little over 24 hours - that’s pretty impressive! :grinning:

3 Likes

Wow. They run a very efficient service here in Portugal, but I didn’t know they could deliver that fast abroad as well. Maybe they have some conveniently located warehouses close to you, who knows!

3 Likes

Hi Joseph!
I wondered about a local warehouse too, but the DHL tracking details show that the package went from Alverca do Ribatejo near Lisbon to Vitória in Spain and then to the UK.
Quite amazing, really! :astonished::astonished::astonished:

4 Likes

I went to Livraria Lello in June and loved it! I actually paid 20 euros for the pass that gets you in without waiting in line (plus, there was a book included in the cost). It was worth every penny!

4 Likes

A question for people familiar with the Aprender Português series, please…

Is there an answer key anywhere for the exercises in the main textbook? The separate exercise, oral comprehension and applied grammar books all have solutions at the back, but the main textbook doesn’t.

Muito obrigado!

3 Likes

If these books are what I think they are (published by Texto Editores), I was able to download the solutions from the website aprenderportugues.te.pt as well as the audio files for the listening practice.

3 Likes

@stephencanthony, you are a star, thank you!

2 Likes

No worries - glad to help.

2 Likes

Side note; if anyone would like to sell their used textbooks; even if they are workbooks and you wrote in them. I am interested*~ I like them

1 Like