Ajudar conjugation in transitive form

Olá, bom dia! Eu só falo um pouco de português!

Why is the verb ajudar not conjugated in the phrase “Pode ajudar-me?” but it is in the phrase “Posso ajudá-la”? Another example of conjugation is “Diz-me o que achas?”

My expectation is that phrase should be “Pode ajudo-me”?

Muito obrigado!
Dan

In this sentence ajudar is used with the auxiliary verb poder. So, just like in English, it stands in the infinitive. (e.g. “He can help”, as opposed to " He helps" without the auxiliary verb “can”). In the sentence “Posso ajudá-la?” it might not be obvious, but ajudar is in the infinitive as well. If a verb ends with -r, -s, or -z, the last consonant is dropped and an “l” is added to the pronouns a, o, as, os.

I hope I got everything right. If not, hopefully one of the moderaters can help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pode ajudar-me - can you help me?
Posso ajudá-la - can I help you (there)?

Posso dar-te uma mãozinha? Can I give you a (little,helping) hand?

I gathered it was infinitive which helps, but I suppose I’m asking where the following rule is talked about:

“If a verb ends with -r, -s, or -z, the last consonant is dropped and an “l” is added to the pronouns a, o, as, os”

If I could read about that, it would definitely help.

This is the respective chapter:

1 Like

Hi, @herecy! @heike.dio nailed it, I have nothing to add to the very complete replies above :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s amazing. Muito Obrigado!

1 Like