A palavra, "assim"

Se esta pergunta foi já perguntou…meu mal! Eu estou confuso sobre a palavra “assim” e como usá-lo!

Muito obrigado!

assim e como “like that”. coisas assim = things like that. Nao podes entrar assim = you can’t walk in like this.
Espero que esteja certo e possa ajudar.

@marek, you’re right, that’s one of the uses of ‘assim’ :slight_smile: It can also mean ‘hence’ or ‘therefore’. For example:

• Everything was done. Hence, they finally had some rest. = Tudo estava feito. Assim, eles finalmente tiveram algum descanso.

Obrigado! Looks like it has different meanings in different situations! Guess it means practicing more and learning each meaning! :joy:

2 Likes

Makes sense though I don’t know any English people who still use the word “ hence” in your sentence probably more likely to say… so they finally had some rest.

@sylvia.hawkes, oh, that’s too bad - I love the word hence :grin: I definitely write it more than I actually say it, hah. Translating “assim” to a more sophisticated word like hence or therefore is fitting, though, because “assim” wouldn’t be the most obvious choice of word in Portuguese either. We’re more likely to say “Por isso” or “Portanto”, for example.