What made you want to learn Portuguese?

Sou Benfiquista inglês mas meu português é ruim! Meus amigos português falam inglês muito bem mas eu preciso melhorar.

3 Likes

I visited Portugal a few years ago and have returned for a few more visits of 2 weeks duration each time. I have driven around southern Portugal and will drive around northern Portugal on my next visit. I am considering moving to Portugal or at least spending more time on longer visits in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, @Peter.Domican and @bacole2. Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

The North is beautiful, be sure to visit Bom Jesus in Braga, especially if you’re going in the summer! If you haven’t already, try a Super Bock also, typically if you’re familiar with the South you’ve had Sagres, but in the North Super Bock is the favourite beer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, why do I want to learn Portuguese? Well, since about two and a half years, I’m living and working here in the wonderful country of Portugal. So knowing the language would be very useful and rewarding. :slight_smile:

But unfortunately, I get by here way too well without actually using Portuguese (helps to have a Portuguese husband and no Portuguese requirements at work) and that means that I still do not speak the language. My knowledge level of Portuguese is still very basic and only theoretical, but hopefully I’ll be able to find the motivation to get me through the very challenging part of actually trying to form sentences and pronounce the words. I tend to get stuck on not wanting to make mistakes, which keeps me from even trying and that makes the learning grind to a halt. So, I have some things to work on! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, you need to make mistakes :slight_smile: Your husband could be a more forgiving audience to start with!

3 Likes

Yes, unfortunately I am aware that I need to make mistakes in order to learn, but it’s easier said than done, getting to that point that I feel brave enough to make those mistakes. That’s something that I struggle with, not only in regards to learning a new language.

I wouldn’t say my husband is a forgiving audience to start with, not for this at least. :joy: Luckily, the rest of his qualities more than makes up for this shortcoming. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
My mother-in-law is much better for that, which could be because she does not speak English and really appreciates even the tiniest attempt to speak Portuguese with her. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course, I understand. Hopefully, in time you’ll get there and connect theory to practice :slight_smile:

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had an amazing vacation planned for May 2020. I am in the process of canceling due to travel restrictions and advisories.
In the process of planning my vacation I fell I love with Portugal. I will visit when all this craziness settles down. Until then, I have decided to learn how to speak the language so when I do finally get there, I will be able to talk to people amd hear their stories.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Cheryl! The small upside is that you should be able to get a refund or postpone the trip without penalties, given the exceptional circumstances. Also, you’ll have more time to work on your Portuguese. I was also supposed to travel this week, and now all I’ll have is a staycation. It’s for the better…

2 Likes

Hi everyone, My name is Cameron and I am originally from Australia but now living north of Porto in Leça da Palmeira with my girlfriend who is a native.

I am finding this program an amazing help but have been doing Duolingo for about a year so it is nice to finally learn the genuine article hahaha.

I would love to see if anyone wants to practice via face chat etc (due to virus lockdowns)

2 Likes

Olá todos!
É muito interessante ler as vossas histórias e razões para aprender português.

Geralmente adoro aprender línguas. A minha “aventura” com português começou acho que há 4 anos, quando conheci o meu namorado (quem é português). No início, só de vez em quando, pratiquei com uma aplicação Memrise ou falámos um pouco… Neste momento, desde mais ou menos um ano, aprendo português todos os dias. Uso Practice Portuguese, livros, aplicações de telemóvel, leio Euronews…

Finalmente, há 7 meses, mudamo-nos para Portugal. Por isso, neste momento tenho muito motivação para aprender (geralmente;) não é sempre tão bom…) Ainda é muuuito difícil falar português com pessoas cá, mas já não sou tímida para falar e não me importo muito se faço erros :slight_smile: desde que as pessoas me entenderem.

O meu objetivo final é perceber e falar durante o jantar com família, hehe. Ainda muito trabalho para fazer.

Ooofff, é provavelmente o mais longo texto em português que eu escrevi.

4 Likes

Olá, @natalia.koscielska, e obrigado pela história. Acima de tudo, parabéns, porque o português está muito bom :slight_smile: Fiz apenas pequenas correções para te ajudar. Acredito que rapidamente vais entender grande parte das conversas à mesa de jantar, hah.

3 Likes

My wife and I became interested in learning Portuguese about two-and-a-half years ago when we decided to move to Portugal. We did a reconnaissance trip in 2016 fell in love with it and when I retired we moved a Lagos. We have a personal tutor who comes in once a week and we study practice Portuguese almost every day. We find that living in the Algarve the speakers of Portuguese are very rapid in their speech patterns. When we go to Porto or Lisbon we actually get along really well and understand and can converse. However the Algarve is still a challenge. Also on a personal note, I I’m like many typical Americans who have taken language is throughout my school years and really not paid attention to them. And my personal challenge to myself is to become bilingual. Like most of the world.

3 Likes

Olá @Joseph Wow obrigada! Os correções são muito úteis :blush:

2 Likes

Hi I have visited Portugal several times over the last 3 years and have made many friends. Last year I travelled with my daughter over 700 miles in one week , from Lagos to Evora and on to the Alentejo then back down the coast to Lagos. I stayed with friends, rode beautiful horses and took in the sights. On a previous visit I went to Golega for the horse fair. I have been learning Portuguese for the last 18 months as I want to keep visiting because I have fallen in love with Portugal and the beautiful Lusitano horses.
I think I have exhausted all the audio training on Audible and a lot of it is Brazilian Portuguese so now it’s time to delve in to learning in more detail. Happy to be here :blush: x Jo

2 Likes

My name is Rens Leenders and I’m living in the Netherlands. I enjoyed very much reading the stories of my fellow students about what made them learning portuguese. Learning this language gives me a lot of pleasure althougt I’m not sure why I’m doing it. This is what happened to me:

Há cerca de 45 anos costumava jogar voleibal com um companheiro português. Foi Graças a ele que comecei a ter interesse em Portugal. Ao curso do tempo tive a ideia de ir procurar emprego no ensino de Moçambique depois de acabar o meu estudo. Obviamente isto exigiu que eu aprendesse português. Em abril de 1979 entrei no comboio com destinação Lisboa. Fui sozinho e na intenção de praticar o pouco de português que já tinha aprendido. Depois de uma viagem inesquicível de 40 horas finalmente atingi Lisboa. Lisboa, nessa altura, estava na plena floração da Primavera e o ceu estava de um azul mágico. Percorri a cidade. A Praça do Comercio num luz deslumbrante, as ruelas de Alfama, os rapazinhos, de pé descalço, jogando futebol como verdadeiros Ronaldinhos à volta da estátua do D. Pedro IV ( o que não paracia lhe importar), o exótico Jardim Botánico, Maria,… parecia que tudo fosse tirado de um romance do realismo mágico de Gabriel Gárcia Márquez. Deve ser esta experiência que até hoje em dia fique à base de minha motivação para aprender português.

Finalmente nunca fui a Moçambique. Encontrei emprego no ensino de Argélia onde se fala francês. É por isso que na aprendizagem do português, o francês continua a ser a minha referência natural.

Em 2016 e 2017 voltei a passar férias de Verão com a minha mulher em Portugal. Fomos à Serra de São Mamede no Alentejo. Tirei aulas de conversa em português durante as férias. O ano antes já tinha retomado o estudo. Foi a minha simpática e excelente profesora que me sugeriu Practice Portuguese.
A minha atividade predilecto em Portugal: percorrer a pé os campos e as cidades, encontrar pessoas, sempre com o meu bloco de desenho sob o braço e um lápis na bolsa (hobby). É assim que aos poucos estou a fazer o meu Diário de desenhos de Portugal. Teria um grande prazer - se pode ser - em partilhar com vocês uns desenhos deste diário.

Abraço.

(Obviamente todos os conselhos por melhorar o meu português são bem vindos.)

5 Likes

Uma boa história Eu acho que aprender idiomas está no DNA de todas as pessoas Holandesas.
Voce faz isso bem.

3 Likes

Olá, @kr.leenders, e parabéns pelo texto em ótimo português, com uma história de vida interessante. Já temos um tópico para fotografias de Portugal; acho que seria muito interessante vermos também desenhos de Portugal (ou desenhados cá)! Fica à vontade para partilhares os desenhos que quiseres.

3 Likes

Olá Joseph,
Muito obrigado pelo teu esforço para corrigir o meu texto em português. Receber este feedback pessoal é extrememente instrutivo e representa uma grande qualidade de Practice Portuguese.
Obrigado também pelo convite de partilhar uns desenhos de Portugal.

2 Likes