What made you want to learn Portuguese?

Obrigado pelo teu apoio, Andy! Great to have you on board :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you stumbled across them and are enjoying them, Mac! This is one of my personal favourite things we have launched in a long time, and I have been using them for my own studies for weeks now. I wish we had added that a long time ago, but of course, our list is long and it’s always a challenge prioritizing everything we want to do. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

28 years ago I was an Australian living in Canada. I met a Portuguese/Canadian girl. All going ok at that stage and then I met her old man (Pai). He looks a bit like Fidel Castro without the facial hair and a bit shorter. Before I even shake his hand he mumbles “A nossa casa falamos Portugues, se ele quer comer ou beber, diga para ele aprender Portugues” or something to that effect. And so my journey began. We tried to speak Portuguese to the kids but they ended up speaking some mongrel Aussie/Portuguese mix of weird words and European Portuguese is rare in Australia whilst Brazzos (affectionate term for Brasileiros) are common. After 4 trips to Portugal to meet family, friends and explore the worlds best waves that my Sogro told me about, I thought it is about time to make more effort to join in conversation with everyone there. Also my daughter has just spent 6 months last year working at a surf camp and plans to go back when international travel resumes. Hopefully very soon

2 Likes

Way to be introduced to the family :smile: That’s a great story.

Boa tarde! Hi everyone, I have been learning Portuguese for a few weeks now. :slight_smile:

I am quite far away from saying anything properly just yet, but I am enjoying the learning process (at least I can say that I can only speak a little bit of Portuguese now in the language ha). I tried Duolingo first and then Memrise, but apart from Duolingo only teaching Brazilian Portuguese, I found I wasn’t really learning much. I love this page, as I am actually making progress and have a proper course to follow, with options to review and listen etc.

I am German, but have been living in Ireland for nearly three years now. I lived in Australia, Canada and New Zealand before. I’ve been wanting to move for a while and had a few criteria, and Portugal ticked all my boxes. So I am currently looking for jobs in Lisbon and hoping to move there in September or October. This is my main reason for learning the language, however, I’ve been wanting to learn another language for a while now and somehow I really enjoy learning the European Portuguese. I’ve started to listen to musicians like Carolina Deslandes and Tiago Bettencourt, and just love how much feeling is in those songs. And in general I just enjoy exploring new cultures…

Glad to be part of this community now :grinning:

2 Likes

Olá, @Christine , e bem-vinda :slight_smile:

We have a (very long) topic full of Portuguese music recommendations you might want to check out: What is the best European Portuguese music?
It even has its own dedicated Spotify playlist, thanks to @Molly: Practice Portuguese: The Official Soundtrack - Spotify

I also really like Tiago Bettencourt’s music in general. Deslandes also writes some beautiful stuff.

3 Likes

Obrigada @Joseph, that’s great, I’ll have a look!

2 Likes

I grew up in Zimbabwe, but my paternal grandfather was from a village called Ançã in the Coimbra region of Portugal. Unfortunately, he passed away when my father was a teenager and my father never learned the language. I have tried to learn four other times, but I have never gotten as far as I have this time!

Anyway, last year I started a new job and one of my colleagues is from Porto. He kindly told me that I was saying my surname (Carregosa) wrong and he intended to get me to say it the right way! I was slightly embarrassed so earlier this year I decided it was time to find a course, and stumbled across the podcast, which led me to the Practice Portuguese website. When lockdown was imminent, I decided to finally commit and sign up for the course. Fingers crossed fifth time lucky!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed, @Hawa. All that’s left is for you to visit Ançã some day (if you haven’t already) :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Joseph, I’ve been before as a child. Hopefully some day I will go back :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Wojtek. I am from Poland. I’ve started to learn Brazilian Portuguese many years ago. I was a student and tried to have a goal for the holidays. I had Italian at university, so I understand how the Latin language “works”. I aprendei sozinho and I used audios so I spoke the basics quite good . Then, I had a break for years and I have bought a ticket to Porto. I fell in love with this city and country and sons de Portugues europeu. I decided to refresh my knowledge using apps and finished semester of pt at language school. The discover of the site providing materials so para aprender Portugues Europeu is a huge thing for me: slight_smile:

Greetings for everybody;)

1 Like

@wjtkam, Porto is a cool city, so no wonder you fell in love with it. Thanks for posting!

Porque eu quero aprender o português?

Em 2007, minha esposa e eu navegamos num pequeno barco a vela do Canadá para Portugal. Durante a viagem, estudei português, ouvindo um CD por muitos dias no mar. Quando chegamos a Portugal, descobri, lamentamente, que o CD era brasileiro! Desde então, Eu tenho tentado aprender o português europeu.

Eu uso Practiceportuguese.com. Muito bom! Mas, também uso Google Translate. Alguns vezes, Google Translate usa brasileiro, ainda um problema para mim.

3 Likes

Vários membros recomendam o Deepl como alternativa ao Google Translate, por distinguir melhor entre português europeu e do Brasil. Talvez possas experimentá-lo :slight_smile: An alternative to Google Translate?

Hà muitas razões para aprender Português mas, para mim, nesto momento quando não podemos visitar Portugal, a razão melhor é compreender as canções do grupo Madredeus.

Se não se pode ir a Lisboa, podemos escutar ‘Moro em Lisboa’ e ver as imagens de Lisboa:

A primeira vez que fui a Lisboa, viajei de tren (do Porto) e quando subi do metro na estação vi um barco enorme ao outro lado da rua.

The first time I went to Lisbon I went by train from Porto. When I came up from the subway exit at the train station the first thing I saw was a HUGE cruise ship across the street. It blocked out the sea and looked parked, like a car!

2 Likes

I moved to Portugal in July 2018 and started learning Portuguese informally. I have been stuck in the UK since march due to COVID and feel i’m loosing all my Portuguese. My partner is Portuguese and while i can communicate with his family i would like to be have a better level of written Portuguese and spoken.

1 Like

DeepL é fantástico! Obrigado pela sugestão.

1 Like

Hi Joseph,

I’ve lived and worked in Lisboa for a year. 2015-2016. In the meanwhile I took Portuguese group classes in the evening, twice a week
at "Portuguese Connection ".

Since I left Portugal in 2016 I only practiced the language during the holidays to Portugal (once a year.)

Since the virus I dicided to start all over again. And I took private courses through Skype at Portuguese Connection again.

I love Portugal, Lisboa in particular. I love the language as well.

2 Likes

One whole year here (and with classes) must have taught you a lot already, @Dewi! I kind of wonder if you have anything to add to this thread :smirk:: Quirks and Oddities of Portugal/the Portuguese

1 Like

experimentem também Linguee
A meu ver muito útil: o resultado relativo a palavra procurada, há também muitos exemplos como a aplicar… (caso estiveres on-line)