Unusual study tips

Hi, @Anna! Sorry, I actually hadn’t seen this post of yours when I responded about the “soup spoon” issue. I just read this post today and this was exactly the question I had! You expressed it quite nicely!
Thanks for your advice!

3 Likes

I’m glad you appreciated it, @David2019! :smile:

1 Like

Eu vi tanto ideias boas aqui. Mas eu tenho mais uma. Eu assisto artistas e jogadores na uma streaming website chamado Twitch. Não é normalmente usado para aprender as idiomas, mas tem muito muito actividades aí. I only just started taking my Portuguese study seriously. So if that was too bad to understand, I was adding my favorite way to practice to the suggestion. It’s a streaming website where you can watch people play games, make art, or even just have conversations with the community. It helps a lot with slang as well as making it seem less like a chore. There’s also a subreddit called language_exchange that’s been really helpful to me as well. You can meet native speakers willing to chat and help you as well as practice their own English. Desculpe pelo livro. Espero isto vai ajudar!

5 Likes

Obrigado pela ajuda, @Brianzinho, e espero que aceites a minha ajuda também, com as correções ao teu texto! Mas deu para perceber tudo o que disseste, parabéns.

A propósito, nós normalmente usamos o verbo assistir para falar de espetáculos, programas de TV, filmes, etc. Quando falamos diretamente sobre as pessoas, o verbo ver fica melhor. Por exemplo: Eu vi os Backstreet Boys. || Eu assisti ao concerto dos Backstreet Boys.

3 Likes

Aceito! E muito obrigado pelas lições. Eu amo disso novo recurso pelos discussões! É muito fixe.

1 Like

I have recently found a newspaper published in english and Portuguese allowing me to read the
Portuguese and english

O Jornal
Www.ojornal.com.

9 Likes

This is very interesting, @Ramboia. I wonder if they have to cut down on the number of articles due to all the space taken by the translation.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing! Where is this printed version of the newspaper distributed?

1 Like

Hi,
It has an office in: Fall River, Ma USA.

I appreciate your web site very much. It makes very convenient in my attempt to improve my portuguese.

Have you considered live meetings where one could practice by conversing? Skype ,Go to meeting, etc.

3 Likes

That area of New England (USA) has a large ;population of Portuguese. They have a radio station that broadcasts in Portuguese. It is also home of ;publishers who released two books entitled BOM DIA which are excellent Portuguese primers for High School Students. Thanks for the lead on the paper. It helps to SEE the translation. I like Correio de Manha in Lisboa, but no ingles translations there!

4 Likes

It’s definitely an area we’ve considered exploring, although it is a challenging to do it in a scalable way for all of our members that would also be of high enough quality… it’ll be on our radar though :wink:

Here’s a study tip I’ve been trying - write a story.

I started with simple 1st person dialogue, but realized that where I have problems is in the use of (in)direct pronouns. So, I’m rewriting in 3rd person - forcing the use of lhe & it’s ilk. It forces the understanding of vocab & grammar. And yes, it’s pretty bad - but better than when I started!

As I say to friends, I’m now writing the Great American Novel - in Portuguese :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@stephencanthony, very nice idea! If you ever feel like sharing one of those stories you wrote… :grin:

1 Like

If I do, no laughing :slight_smile: Also, corrections would be most welcome!! Maybe I’ll do it in brief sections so as to not overwhelm people!

5 Likes

Sounds like a great idea! You could start a new topic and we could all learn from the corrections as well. :hugs:

2 Likes

Sure, bring it on, @stephencanthony! I promise not to make fun of them (visibly) :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Throwing this out as another unusual study tip - RTP has apps for Android (and I assume…) iPhone.

I downloaded RTP-Play and can listen to TV or Radio (mostly radio) to help me train my ear. And yes, I understand a word here and there, but hope that as my vocab builds, more will become understandable.

I did (on Android) have to enable 3g in one of the options in the App, but after that pretty easy receive content.

5 Likes

For me, it’s music. I’ve been listening to Fado, some Portuguese pop, as well as nursery rhymes and lullabies (a bit of a mixed bag, I know!), all of which have actually helped me along. I can even tell the difference between a song in Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese by now!

7 Likes

I don’t know if this has been posted before but I came across a new idea for me that is really helping. I have a wide screen monitor and I have opened 2 different browsers (Chrome & Brave) on the screen. I use the Brave application for English and the Chrome application for Portuguese. When I go to a website I copy the link and post it in my Portuguese browser. Now I have two versions on the same site - in two different languages. I try to read the Portuguese one first and then have a look at the English to see if I’ve comprehended what I read in Portuguese. It seems to be working very well and I’m learning (or understanding) more than I thought I was. Also, the familiarity of various sites makes it easier (such as Facebook).

8 Likes

This looks really interesting - from the small pic I can’t tell if it’s European or Brazilian Portuguese. Is it available online?