Speaking Questions (Voice Recording)

@joelrendall - me again :joy:

On the lessons, I can’t record my pronunciation.
I get “Error encountered: permission denied”
I’ve checked app permissions in settings and microphone is allowed. It was set to denied, but I’ve changed the setting and still no luck.

1 Like

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that in the notes. On iOS, those questions are automatically disabled and looks like we still need to disable them on Android as well. The way we have implemented the microphone recording on the platform is not compatible inside the apps, so that feature will only be available through the browser until we can find a new solution. Perhaps we can make a dedicated “speaking practice” activity so people can directly through the web browser just to do that activity. Hopefully the convenience of other aspects of the app will make up for this shortcoming.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thanks for the prompt response!

1 Like

Another update: We have been investigating this, and it looks like it should be possible to accomplish in the future, likely in the coming months. Of course, it will require that the user grant microphone permissions to our app.

It will be a bit of a challenge to do this, so we will probably launch the app without this feature, with the feature remaining at the top of our list to resolve.

1 Like

Hi Joel,
That’s great news, even though still a possibility and requires so much time and effort.
Understanding how challenging it is to implement the feature, I highly value all the convenience that this mobile app will bring to us!
That dedicated “speaking practice” activity option would be wonderful, yet in the meanwhile I would be keen to manually visit the web and practice.
The launch of your app will definitely attract more users and needless to say, I suggest you mention in the introduction that the speaking practice is available on the web and you are closely looking to make it work on the app in the near future!

1 Like