Portugal and Covid-19: Fears, Comments, Thoughts

Uma carta da inglaterra.

Depois de trés semanas sem sair a casa, eu sinto que eu não mais parte disto mundo. Visto que a minha esposa e eu somos classificado vulnerávais, temos de ficar em casa o tempo tudo. Que chato! O meu mundo contem quatro paredes e um jardim.

Mas não é tudo más . Na Inglaterra, estamos a desfrutar de bon clima nesta altura. O sol está a brilhar desde a madrugada até o pôr do sol e a temperatura fica muito agradável. ( O meu filho me enviou um texto, ele estava numa fila fora dum supermercado na Ericeira e estava a chover!)

Portanto é possival passar as horas no jardim. Eu passo muito tempo em trabahar com as plantas de legumes; tenho nabos, cenouras, couves e feijãos. Tenho também floras e um arvore de maça. O proximo mês vou plantar tomates e pepinas.

Sem duvida a situaçáo de falta a comida no supermercados melhorar; pode até encontrar o papel higiênico! Mas agora não existem ovos por causa de todo o mundo estão a fazer bolos!

Ir as compras pôr um problema para nós, mas o maximo dos supermercados fazer entragas para compras ‘on line’; mas precisa de ser sorte para ganhar um ‘slot’ de entraga.

Isolamento é horrival , mas pode-se conversar com a famália no skype e no telefone. A minha esposa passa uma hora por dia em conversar com a nossa neta em Portugal, ela tem cinco anos e também é em isolamento; creo que é muito mais dificile para criančas ficam em casa o tempo todo

. Estes são tempos difficeis, pelo menos minha esposa e eu ainda está a conversar um como o outro!

Até a proxima.n

2 Likes

Aqui em Portugal, os super/hipermercados também não estavam prontos para tanta procura e também é muito difícil conseguir entregas ao domicílio que não sejam 3, 4 semanas mais tarde. Por outro lado, consigo marcar recolhas na loja (pickup) para a mesma semana ou semana seguinte. Num dos hipermercados, os funcionários até vêm entregar as compras ao carro no parque de estacionamento, por isso é uma alternativa muito segura. Vocês não têm essa opção, @davidcowling949?

2 Likes

Obrigado Joseph.
Sim, temos o mesmo aqui em Inglaterra, chamado ’ click and collect’. Como dizes, essa opção é muito segura e também muito popular. Por isso é difícil conseguir um horário em menos que três semanas. Em tempos normais, pode-se obter uma entrega ou recolha na loja no mesmo dia.

2 Likes

Em Inglaterra continuamos com o Coronavirus ‘lockdown’, mas hoje lembrei-me com um sorriso outra palavra semelhante - ‘lock-in’.

Quando eu era joven os bares ‘pubs’ costuvam fechar cedo às 22:30 mas alguns propretários continuavam a servir alcool. Para que a polícia não soubesse os propretários fechavam à chave as portas e tínhamos um ‘lock-in’.

Lembro-me um pequeno ‘pub’ no centro de Merthyr Tydfil (onde eu trabalhava) que tinha ‘lock-ins’. A proprietária, que não era honesta, costumava desligar as luzes e acender algumas velas.

Estava sempre oscuro e na manhã seguinte, encontrei muitas veces muitos ‘halfpennies’ nos meus bolsos. Os ‘halfpennies’ eram do mesmo tamanho que os shillings mas valiam muito menos.

1 shilling = 12 pennies = 24 halfpennies

2 Likes

Haha, muito bom história.
Lembro-me bem os lockins no pub. Geralmente numa sexta à noite. Foi mais do que cinquento anos atrás, e também foi em os Pais de Gales no Sul ( Porthcawl ) onde eu trabalhava. O proprietária sempre tinha um pint pronto para o polícia quando ele bateu na porta.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Obrigado Joseph, I must remember that lembrar-se takes de after.

2 Likes

Gosto muitos destas contas!

2 Likes

@stephencanthony

2 Likes

Parabéns para Portugal

7 Likes

We run a small guest house in the Algarve and just done the training and got our certificate for Clean & Safe. I have to admit doing 4 hours online training all in Portuguese was a real challenge but fortunately we had the manual to double check all the info.
It’s a real testimony to Portugal’s commitment to get the economy going again.

4 Likes

How are members in Portugal coping with the COVID-19 virus up to this point? Has everyone been able to stay safe? Any experiences that members would like to share? Here in the US, I and my spouse have managed to stay safe, despite the fact that North Carolina, where we live, has rising case counts. We always wear masks and gloves when we go to the supermarket or any other place. But a worrying factor is that we have noticed more people rebelling over the wearing of masks. How are things by you? :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Things in Portugal have been going well enough, on the pandemic side. Even though the number of new daily cases has stayed high for several weeks post-lockdown (mostly in and around Lisbon), there have been consistent improvements in all other parameters, so there was no reversal to the stricter measures of a few months back. No one really wants to go back to that anyway and the government sometimes exudes quiet panic in what concerns the economy – such as each time they cry out against the UK’s sustained travel restrictions to Portugal.

I kind of see two extremes in the population, from the people who are still very scared to go out to those who are completely saturated and just want to get back to living. But there are no crazy anti-mask protests or anything; they’ve been mandatory in all closed spaces since May and people comply, even if some use them improperly. Personally, my family and I have been very safe all these months, working from home, etc. Meanwhile, I’ve already gotten back to spending time with close friends in small groups and even to some of my hobbies, so I’m certainly more exposed now. Public transport is still no-go for me. I used to be all for them, but now I drive absolutely everywhere and have been doing so since March.

3 Likes

After careful deliberation, I have decided to still travel to Portugal for a language course next week. However, I am having trouble finding good up to date info on coronavirus measures in English. Most of what I know came through Google translate, travel blogs and a friend that lives in Lisbon. Is there really that little info available in English (e.g. on government websites), or am I just looking in the wrong places?

1 Like

I think most/all of the official information is being released in Portuguese. All of it, including daily stats, is centralized on this government website: https://covid19.min-saude.pt/ . If there’s anything specific you’d like to know, I can help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

Our vacation, this September, to Peniche was cancelled due to Covid. I’m Irish and my wife is American. We live in Dublin. Our travel insurance would not cover us and I wasn’t prepared to take a financial risk of being stuck in Portugal. Que triste!

But the silver lining in such a horrible time for so many?
My job has made me a permanent homeworker.!
At the same time, our landlord gave us a years notice.

So the upshot is- September 1st 2021, we move to Portugal.

How fate can be so cruel. I see the horror of what’s happening around the world, especially in the US.
I truly hope there is a silver lining, too, for humanity. That we learn many lessons and through them provide for a better world in the future. For everyone.

Boa sorte.

Kevin

3 Likes

Good luck with your new life in Portugal, it is a wonderful country and people. Where are you planning to move too, north, south, central? Property prices fluctuate quite a bit in Portugal, often depending upon how close to the sea you want to live!

1 Like

Hey Robert

Welcome! This is the best site I seen for learning Portuguese. Good luck.
Like a child in a sweet shop I couldn’t make up my mind for the longest time. But finally I realised it made sense to spend the first year in the Algarve until we settled. I know it’s more expensive for housing but it’s still a lot cheaper than Dublin. I quite like the area to the East of Faro but my wife likes it to the West of Lagos. We both like being close to the ocean but I would like to explore further into the hills. We will do AirBnB for a while until we find a rental.
Our fist visit was in 2016 and we fell in love with the place, life and the people.

2 Likes

Our apartment is west of Lagos, so we know the area very well. If you need any information on living there, let me know.

1 Like

Thank you very much Joseph! I ended up having a great time and severely miss the sense of the Portuguese people when it comes to following corona rules.

1 Like