Do anyone know of any Portuguese programs on Netflix?

I’ve just started watching a film in Portuguese with Portuguese subtitles: 3%. Science fiction.

1 Like

In Netflix - you can click “Browse by Languages” at the top. Then you can search for Portuguese either as the original language - or dubbed in Portuguese. There is also the option to slow the playback speed to 0.75.

I just watched Wishdragon in English w/ Portuguese subtitles. I was shocked by how much of the vocabulary and expressions I knew from just a month of Practice Portuguese. Alas, if I switched the Audio to Portuguese I was pretty much lost.

Any suggestions for children’s programs in European Portuguese that may be a good entry for building listening comprehension?

1 Like

@vastspace1, I don’t have any specific recommendations myself, but maybe you’ll find some ideas of accessible programs in this other thread: Portuguese TV programs - Your Guide to Portugal / Travel & Leisure - Practice Portuguese. Also, make sure to check out RTP Play - RTP, which has a whole database of content from our only state-funded TV network, RTP.

Thank you! I will check out these links.

Not on Netflix, but my toddler enjoys O Panda e o Galo on RTP/ZigZag and I find myself sucked in too. Very short episodes, and you can get it in the US in the ZigZag app without a VPN.

Glória is a very good series on Netflix. In Portuguese and English.

3 Likes

Thank you! I think I might get sucked into these too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The series Pedro e Inêz is not on Netflix. It’s free to watch via the RTP archives. I can read Portuguese pretty well but have a hard time understanding the spoken language. Even so, I enjoyed this series. I wish it had Portuguese subtitles. Maybe it does if you play it on the app. I do not know whether the costumes are historically accurate, but it’s a joy to see them. The story is, of course, muito triste.

2 Likes

I second this! I watch with Português subtitles - in fact, I have started watching everything with Português subtitles :slightly_smiling_face

1 Like

I love Until Life do Us Part (Ate Que A Vida Nos Separe) on Netflix. It’s a series in European Portuguese! It’s a great show. The other show on Netflix is called Gloria. Also in European Portuguese. About radio free europe and Portugal’s involvement. More complicated but a very good show.

1 Like