Do anyone know of any Portuguese programs on Netflix?

Hey! Never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

Hi - I hadn’t either! Based in Europe and Africa. Really enjoyable for me anyway. Sometimes it’s hard to find things to watch. Do check it out !

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks for the advice! I changed the language setting and watched Spongebob - The Movie but the spoken language doesn´t always match with the subtitles. I am confused since i understand very little so far. Do you have have the same “Problem”?
best

1 Like

I haven’t tried it with the movie, only with the show. The subtitles seem to match up most of the time with Spongebob, the show. I have had the same problem with other Netflix shows, though. It often seems like the subtitles were created separately from the audio as just a rough translation, rather than really trying to match what is being said.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer. Which are the other european portuguese Shows/movies that you have found? I would even watch children´s shows in order to practice :wink: thank you
best,
Tobias

1 Like

No problem! I’ve also watched a kids’ show called “Charlie’s Colorforms City”. Just like with Spongebob, you can change the language settings to be dubbed in European Portuguese. You might find some other ideas here, too. It’s definitely a bit of a challenge to find options online that have reliable subtitles and aren’t in Brazilian Portuguese!

2 Likes

It might happen that the subtitles are sometimes simplified, instead of verbatim. It’s usually because of space and also reading speed. I don’t know if that’s the case here, but could be.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you want to invest in a VPN, but I have one and watch The Voice Portugal religiously! There are numerous choices and easy to install. I have Express VPN and it runs about 12$/month but there is a discount if you sign up for 6 months and 12 months at a time.

It works for Netflix and Portuguese tv channels. My daughter loves the ability to watch Netflix from other countries because they offer different shows than we have here in the United Stated.

While we are stuck inside, who has good suggestions for Netflix content.

I’m enjoying La Casa de Papel/Money heist which is Brazilian dubbed but matches quite well on the lip movement as the source is Spanish.

The Circle Brazil is another good one. Lots of simple dialog and repetition.

1 Like

Hi and welcome, @warrenburton! I’ve moved your post to an already existing topic; feel free to scroll up to see the suggestions that have already been posted :slight_smile: Also, this other topic has other good suggestions for TV shows in general (beyond Netflix): Portuguese TV programs

I’ve started watching Peppa Pig on Netflix hehe. And I have to tell you that it’s quite enjoyable and I’m able to pick up quite a lot of vocabulary and expressions from there. :blush: Plus if you retell then after watching what happened in the show (to someone or… yourself :stuck_out_tongue: ) it makes for a great speaking practice.

2 Likes

I recently discovered the RTP Play app (I’m on Android but gather it’s also on IOS), which has just a ton of media - TV, movies, radio/news. I haven’t explored too much yet, but so far it’s great and casts to my TV so I can watch normally at home (I’m in the US and haven’t needed a VPN). There is also another thread that mentions the RTP app created to teach Portuguese kids from home during the pandemic, but RTP Play is all media and entertainment.

Edit: I would also second @Joseph’s recommendation to check out the Portuguese TV programs thread, it’s helpful to have somewhere to start given the many choices available

2 Likes

Have a look at Until Life Do us Part and Glória

1 Like

I’ve just started watching a film in Portuguese with Portuguese subtitles: 3%. Science fiction.

1 Like

In Netflix - you can click “Browse by Languages” at the top. Then you can search for Portuguese either as the original language - or dubbed in Portuguese. There is also the option to slow the playback speed to 0.75.

I just watched Wishdragon in English w/ Portuguese subtitles. I was shocked by how much of the vocabulary and expressions I knew from just a month of Practice Portuguese. Alas, if I switched the Audio to Portuguese I was pretty much lost.

Any suggestions for children’s programs in European Portuguese that may be a good entry for building listening comprehension?

1 Like

@vastspace1, I don’t have any specific recommendations myself, but maybe you’ll find some ideas of accessible programs in this other thread: Portuguese TV programs - Your Guide to Portugal / Travel & Leisure - Practice Portuguese. Also, make sure to check out RTP Play - RTP, which has a whole database of content from our only state-funded TV network, RTP.

Thank you! I will check out these links.

Not on Netflix, but my toddler enjoys O Panda e o Galo on RTP/ZigZag and I find myself sucked in too. Very short episodes, and you can get it in the US in the ZigZag app without a VPN.

Glória is a very good series on Netflix. In Portuguese and English.

3 Likes

Thank you! I think I might get sucked into these too :slight_smile:

1 Like